Unlock hidden themes in windows 7
Almost all of us use windows 7 now and there are very few default themes available but did you know that there are themes which are actually hidden in the windows 7 system files.
These are actually for specific regions (countries) such as Australia, Canada, Great Britain, United States and South Africa. They get activated automatically if you are in that region, but how to activate them if you are not in one of those regions?
here are the steps:
1. Show hidden and system files:
In windows explorer, click on Organize > Folder and search options > select the View tab > select the radio button “Show hidden files, folders, and drives” > uncheck the check box “Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)”
It will probably ask for confirmation click on Yes. Then click on OK
2. Go to the folder Windows\Globalization\MCT
3. Here there are 5 folders MCT-AU, MCT-CA, MCT-GB, MCT-US, MCT-ZA for each of the regions. Inside each such folder there is a folder named Theme and inside that folder there is the windows theme file with the extension .theme
4. You can install the theme by double clicking on the .theme file. Once added, the theme file will remain in the personalization settings and you can again apply them later anytime you want.🙂
5. Now you should again undo the settings we changed in step 1. i.e. hide the hidden and system protected files once again.
Here is how my personalization settings look like.. I have also added some extra themes which I downloaded from the Net